Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Suffering produces perseverance




It is Well with My Soul

By Horatio Gates Spafford, 1828-1888
When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea-billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
*
“It is well, it is well with my soul.”
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
*
Though satan should buffet, tho’ trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
*
My sin --- O, the bliss of this glorious thought,
My sin --- not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
*
And, Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll,
The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend,
“Even so” --- it is well with my soul.
*

Horation G. Spafford, a forty-three-year-old Chicago businessman, suffered financial disaster in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.   He and his wife were still grieving over the death of their son shortly before the fire, and he realized they needed to get away for a vacation.   Knowing that their friend Dwight L. Moody was going to be preaching in evangelistic campaigns in England that fall, Spafford decided to take the entire family to England.   His wife and four daughters went ahead on the SS Ville du Havre, and he planned to follow in a few days.

But on the Atlantic Ocean the ship was struck by an iron sailing vessel and sank within twelve minutes.   Two hundred and twenty-six lives were lost --- including the Spafford’s four daughters.   When the survivors were brought to shore at Cardiff, Wales, Mrs. Spafford cabled her husband, “Saved alone.”

Spafford booked passage on the next ship.   As they were crossing the Atlantic, the captain pointed out the place where he thought the Ville du Havre had gone down.   That night, Spafford penned the words “When sorrows like sea billows roll … it is well, it is well with my soul.”
*

We rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings,
because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
perseverance, character;
and character, hope.
Romans 5:2-4
from:  The One Year Book of Hymns, February 4
 

No comments: