Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Gentle and Humble


The Strength of Gentleness 

by Joni Eareckson Tada, 1998

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

Every once in awhile I daydream about my childhood. I remember going on a long hike with my dad and his friends. I don't know how old I was, probably five or six. I scrambled to keep up with the adults, but my little legs could only carry me for so long. I became weary and burdened.

Tired from the long distance, I remember thinking how thankful I was that my dad and his friends were such big, strong adults. They would have no trouble carrying a little tyke like me on their broad shoulders. I breathed a sigh of relief when my dad reached down and slung me on his back. I had no cause for worry. He was strong enough to take my burdens. 

Contrast that image with the Scripture for today. Does something strike you as odd?

Jesus doesn't say, "Look how big and strong I am. Look how powerful and robust. Lean on me." 

Instead, Jesus says, "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened...for I am gentle and humble in heart."

God's Word reminds us that humility, gentleness, patience, long-suffering, kindness, and goodness are character qualities that tower heads above being strong, aggressive, or unwavering. 

The humble and gentle people are the ones we find ourselves drawn to when we feel burdened or weary. Somehow we know these are the people who genuinely care, who actually pray, and who, in fact, take our load upon them.
___________________________________

Are you weary or heavy laden? 

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you" 
1 Peter 5:7

Gentle Jesus, please relieve me of my load today. Enable me to hand it over to You rather than trying to stumble on with it. I'm so grateful You care.


taken from More Precious Than Silver, by Joni



No comments: