Saturday, February 21, 2009

Peeling Potatoes

(This was originally posted at "The Watchman's Bagpipes" on 2/11/09)

Years ago, I think it was Kay Arthur whom I heard on the radio encouraging women by saying that, if you are peeling potatoes for dinner, do it for the glory of the LORD. Her point was for us to do what is in front of us at the moment and to do it joyfully for the LORD. We are not to do things for our own kudos or in drudgery or feeling guilty.

There is the false thought out there that, as Christians, we need to be missionaries in a foreign land or at least ministering across town, or else what we do isn’t important for the LORD.

Let us not forget that our husbands and our children are our first mission field, in which we need to be joyful as we tend to them, and then we can reach out to the world. What we do and how we behave at home is far more important. We can do marvelous things for the LORD out in the world, but if we do these things by neglecting our families, we fail to adhere to the instructions in Titus 2, let alone Proverbs 31.

The great news that sets us free is that you do not have to be a wonderful cook, an immaculate housekeeper, super mom, or an all round “Jill of all trades” with your children to please the LORD. He sees your heart and your loving desire to do next things for Him.

As we do “next things” in our day, we need to find His joy and do them well for Him. When the LORD sees our hearts, when He sees right motives - this is when He is glorified.

“For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it; You are not pleased with burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.” Psalm 51:16-17

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

I like the new layout! Very pretty and nice. I was thinking about this entry today as I peeled the potatoes for supper, and thinking more about how I can please God by being a good wife and mother and less obsessing about saving the world. Usually the most obvious things are right in front of our faces - He doesn't make figuring out His will too difficult, thankfully.

I hope you post again soon - adding you to my bookmarks.

The Piper's Wife said...

Thank you, Marie :)

I am humbled that you have put me on your bookmarks.

I also must often remind myself that what is next to do is just as important to the LORD. He is lovingly patient as we continue to seek His face.