Thursday, July 8, 2010

For the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping

"I am weary with my sighing; every night I make my bed swim, I dissolve my couch with my tears.  My eye has wasted away with grief;  It has become old because of all my adversaries. Depart from me all who do iniquity, for the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping, the LORD has heard my supplication, the LORD receives my prayer."
Psalm 6:6-9

What joy to know that the LORD loves His children.  He does not turn away, but inclines to hear, to comfort, and to act for His beloved.  We are not alone even when this is how we feel.

Years ago now, a friend showed me the lyrics to a Natalie Grant song which continues to encourage me today.  We are held by the One and Only.  He has not forgotten us in our troubles and pain, but is there with us---carrying us through it.

(part of the lyrics of Held follows)

Held           by Christa Wells

This is what it means to be held.
How it feels, when the sacred is torn from your life and you survive.
This is what it is to be loved and to know
That the promise was that when everything fell--
we'd be held.

This hand is bitterness.
We want to taste it and let the hatred numb our sorrows.
The wise hand opens slowly
To the lilies of the valley and tomorrow.

This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life and you survive.
This is what it is to be loved and to know
That the promise was that when everything fell--
we'd be held.

If hope is born of suffering,
If this is only the beginning,
Can we not wait for one hour
Watching for our Savior?

This is what it means to be held........

***********************************************************************************
I can attest that the LORD does truly hold us in our great pain and agonies.  Because of Him we can get up and do next things even through great grief.  He is our strength and because of this we can glorify Him when we choose to respond rightly even when we are literally knocked to our knees by this life's troubles.  Allow Him to lift your head when the sacred is torn from your life and live in His strength.

"But You, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head."
Psalm 3:3

No comments: