Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I shall not pass this way again

Through this toilsome world alas!

Once and only once I pass;

If kindness I may show,

If a good deed I may do

To a suffering fellow man,

Let me do it while I can.

No delay, for it is plain

I shall not pass this way again.
*
Author unknown,
page 76,
The Best Loved Poems
of the American People

*

Today, significantly, I was told by a precious friend how she was politely mocked by a fellow Christian ~  although the word "mocked" is too harsh.  

My friend, a gregarious, compassionate sister in the LORD, shared this recent encounter which greatly disturbed me.  Even so, the LORD lifted her head in the hurtful words spoken to her, and she was made stronger in Him to carry on her selfless, loving ways for Him.

The Christian community is populated by sinners saved by the grace of God.  Still, we continue to sin and one way we readily sin is with our tongues.  Thoughtless words which do not need to be said.  Much of our sinful tongue wagging can be from not  understanding who we are in relation to each other.  We are all of the Body and each one of us has a position in it.  I may be a "toe" and do not understand the position of the "elbow", none the less, both are important to the Body.

Compassionate, caring, comforting, loving, merciful, understanding, grace-filled Christians have a position in His kingdom and it is an honor to serve the LORD in this lacking, well-needed, demanding vocation.  

The LORD gives us one life.  We only pass through it once and so whatever your vocation is in the LORD, do it lovingly and heartily for Him!  Praise the LORD!

Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the LORD rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Colossians 3:23-24




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill,

Thank you! Another beautiful encouragement, full of godly wisdom!

In another blog I follow, the author recently posted about 1 Peter 4:15, and how being a busybody in other people's affairs is a serious sin, too. That is another way the tongue is MISused by believers.

I appreciate both yours and your husband's blogs. Thank you!

Carolyn

The Piper's Wife said...

Thank you, Carolyn, for your kindness and encouragements…also for the 1 Peter 4 and busybodies which are so detrimental to all of us.