Thursday, October 23, 2014

Regrets and Realizations

“Life” goes on, and those cherished people we love make questionable choices.  We watch from the “sidelines” and speak with them about their choices, but we can not make them listen nor make them choose rightly.
I have spent a lifetime “gently” trying to reach certain dear ones.  They do not “hear” me.  Certain ones snub me, and others just chuckle at me.  They happily continue down “wrong roads” and then, for some, “life” begins to catch up with them.  The consequences can be enormous.

Even though I have no power in their lives or their choices, I am now faced with my own regrets.  

Why! Oh, why? wasn’t I more aggressive in my trying to reach them!?  

Why do I have to be so “gentle” in my trying!  

Why couldn’t I have been more serious, more aggressive, more educating in my efforts?  

I spent hours in the car as we drove across America this week, thinking these thoughts and  so much more.  As I grieved more and more over my seemingly failed past in correctly loving my dear ones, I was also crying out to God. 

He is our counselor, our comforter, our wisdom.  Before I uttered a word to my husband about my regrets, the LORD was already calming my emotional slippery, slope I was on.  My thinking was wrong and I began to realize the truth.

The truth is that I was loving, I was gentle, and I have interjected things for years into dear ones’ lives.  They have heard me to some degree, and it was they who have chosen not to listen or heed my efforts of love for them.

I can’t help that they have chosen wrong roads.  I can give my regrets to the LORD and I can realize He is my great God.  I can still love my dear ones, even as they are enveloped in their wrong choices.

LORD, have mercy!


Proverbs 3:5-8

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your body
And refreshment to your bones.


No comments: