Monday, October 23, 2017

A "Just for fun Harvest"




















Well, I sure am thankful for grocery stores and farm stands. We have a difficult time getting good harvests.  It must be like my baking.  I use to bake and make marvelous things, but now I have to watch everything I do, and still, I have what I would call "failures".

So this year we had a small garden in a new area with more sun.  I planted fewer vegetables and thought with less, I could really do well.  So the Beef Steak tomatoes did horrible, the cherry tomatoes did all right, good brussels sprout harvest with the pumpkins surpassing every year we have grown them, and I grew them just for the fun of it to them give away! 

As a side note, we had no apples, no raspberries, and very few strawberries. It was a strange year.

I read a devotional years ago which I should have saved because I refer to it many times when encouraging women.  I think the title was, "Peaches or Pumpkins", and the encouragement was the fact that our great God is with us, He cares for us, and He takes care of us.  

The illustration in this devotional was a farmer and his family where one crop may do well, while the other crops may not. You may end up with a great peach crop or it just might be the pumpkin crop---still, the LORD is with you and takes care of you. 

We may not have needed to eat our pumpkins, but the LORD allowed us to be able to bless many people in our lives with beautiful pumpkins.  It was a joy to pass them around! 

Praising the LORD!

Psalm 20:7
"Some boast in chariots and some in horses,
But we will boast in the name of the Lord, our God."

















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pumpkins are pretty indeed! I’ve never tried Brussels sprouts! But I have a huge loofa gourd vine for the first time, which I hope to harvest soon.

Kathryn

sandy lu said...

Whatever grows- it is a gift...always good & perfect even if it's a sparce puny
harvest I planted more flowers than ever had room for with a family- certainly blessed me all summer long- kinda sad they are fading& leaf-ing me!!

The Piper's Wife said...

Thank you, Kathryn, a loofa gourd sounds fun!

FYI: Brussels sprouts always perform well for me. :o).

Even in a "bad" year we still harvest them even if they are small.

Happy gardening!

The Piper's Wife said...

Thank you for your encouragement, Sandy.

I suppose I would call my tomatoes "puny" this year---they were Beef Steak, but were they puny! Still--we loved what we harvested! They had a better favor than the cherry tomatoes and we almost that size.

Your flowers sound wonderful! I always wanted to grow a big area of Zinnias. I will write it down for next season :o). I did line my vegetables gardens with marigolds. Pretty! Almost time to harvest the seeds :o)

Blessed to have a garden!