Saturday, December 30, 2017

In God's Eye's

"You are the God who sees me."           
Genesis 16:13

When I was a teenager, rushing out of the house to meet my friends, I would invariably be stopped at the door by my father who'd say, "Joni, I want you to act as though someone were always watching. Don't forget that you're an Eareckson."
  
That irked me. I didn't want someone peeking into my life, observing everything I was doing. There were private, teenage things I wanted to keep hidden. What an embarrassment to have some friend of my father's encroach on my Saturday night turf to say, "Hi there, how's your dad doing?”

But now, many years later, I'm comforted by the idea that I ought to live as though someone were always looking. It's an incentive to live an honest, responsible life. Besides, someone is watching. Your life and mine are an open book before the Lord.
  
If you love the works of darkness, that idea will embarrass you. 

If you love the light, the idea that God never takes His eyes off of you will be a comfort. 

For those who are obedient, the watchful eye of God will seem tender and protecting. 

For those who disobey, the open book of your life incites resentment and embarrassment.
  
"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account" 
Hebrews 4:13
  
Fear must never be an incentive to obey, for it will only breed burdensome rule-keeping behavior. Please don't fear the watchful eye of God but draw comfort from His scrutiny into your life. Let Him protect you, let Him guard you with His eye.
  
See me, Lord, and know my every thought and action. I invite You to look into everything I do today, everything I decide or say. Watch me, please, and may Your steady and loving gaze be my incentive to love You steadily in return.

-Joni Eareckson Tada
Diamonds in the Dust, December 30


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi just wanted u to know I'm sharing IN GOD'S EYES with my 3 grandsons,acknowledging u & Joni as the author! Excellent admonition !

The Piper's Wife said...

Thank you, and praising the LORD!