Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Regret, Gratitude, and Loving One Another

"Dead people 
receive more flowers 
than living ones
because 
regret is stronger 
than gratitude."
--Anne Frank
*
1 Corinthians 13
"If I speak with the tongues of men 
and of angels, 
but do not have love, 
I have become a noisy gong 
or a clanging cymbal.

If I have the gift of prophecy, 
and know all mysteries 
and all knowledge; 
and if I have all faith, 
so as to remove mountains, 
but do not have love, 
I am nothing.

And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, 
and if I surrender my body to be burned, 
but do not have love, 
it profits me nothing.

Love is patient, 
love is kind 
and is not jealous; 
love does not brag 
and is not arrogant, 
does not act unbecomingly; 
it does not seek its own, 
is not provoked, 
does not take into account a wrong suffered,
does not rejoice in unrighteousness, 
but rejoices with the truth;
bears all things, 
believes all things, 
hopes all things, 
endures all things.

Love never fails; 
but if there are gifts of prophecy, 
they will be done away; 
if there are tongues, 
they will cease; 
if there is knowledge, 
it will be done away.

For we know in part 
and we prophesy in part;
but when the perfect comes, 
the partial will be done away.

When I was a child, 
I used to speak like a child, 
think like a child, 
reason like a child; 
when I became a man, 
I did away with childish things.

For now we see in a mirror dimly, 
but then face to face;
now I know in part, 
but then I will know fully 
just as I also have been fully known.
But now faith, 
hope, 
love,
abide these three;
but the greatest of these is love."
*

No comments: