Wednesday, March 30, 2022

"Her Mothering Centered on Family"

Years ago...almost forty years ago I happily went to apply for a library card in our new town. As young mother I was excited and ready to begin checking out books for myself and my children.  


Instead of the simple task of signing up I was bombarded with loud questions about my identification. I had my driver's license for that state, but the belligerent librarian demanded another form of ID which was a student identification or then, louder, a work identification.


"Don't you even have a work identification card?" She belted out.


All these years have gone by now, thankfully,  with other towns and another state in which no one else has had a problem with just a drivers license.


I think back now and wonder if college classes even then were teaching that staying home to raise your own children was unthinkable.


This came to my mind today as I read an obituary of a 93 year woman. She had a full and beautiful life with her husband of 71 years. As I continued to read I learned all about her from this beautifully written obituary. 


She and her husband were One and they raised all their children with love, enjoying grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The one line which was so significant to me says it all:


"Her mothering continued as grand and great-grandchidlren came into her world which centered on family."


What a beautiful testimony of a godly woman's life!


Titus 2:3-5

..."Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored."...

*


No comments: