Thursday, December 29, 2016

Spring--longing for spring

We have had so much winter weather beginning in November with practically no sunshine, but for about a week there has been a lull, and we have had “warmer” temperatures with sunshine. 

I looked out this morning and the sun was just beginning to cover the ground.  All of our snow is practically gone and the wildlife was all around the yard.  My heart sang for it “felt” like spring was just around the corner! 

Spring! ~~ I am longing for Spring!

I love winter, so what is this all about - the desiring of spring when we will most probably only begin to see it the end of  March, the beginning of April?  I am usually living in the moment, but today my heart sang for spring!

The thing is that this isn’t really about spring and what I am longing.  It is all about this world not being my home.  I am so tired of the muck. We do not have to go far to be exposed to it, after all, we ourselves are sinners!

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! 
Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. 
The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, 
but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving 
let your requests be made known to God. 
And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, 
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:4-7

I guess as our time marches on I am just grieving more and more, and very much groaning with creation over our condition.  I am worn with hearing, seeing, and knowing of sufferings, many of them completely needless.

I often look to the sky and observe the LORD’s beautiful skies, and I know that Jesus will return again in the clouds.

[Jesus has just told the disciples they do not need to know about certain things, but their job is to be witnesses for Him in the lands] "...And after He [Jesus] had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing [these were angels] stood beside them. 
They also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? 
This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, 
will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven.”
Acts 1:9-11

Looking forward to that day!

As for now, the skies, the land, and even all the people are put rightly into perspective for me.  My thinking returns to what is at hand, which is living in the moment with the LORD as my comfort and strength.

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, 
whatever is honorable, 
whatever is right, 
whatever is pure, 
whatever is lovely, 
whatever is of good repute, 
if there is any excellence 
and if anything worthy of praise, 
dwell on these things.

The things you have learned 
and received 
and heard 
and seen in me, 
practice these things, 
and the God of peace will be with you."
Philippians 4:8-9

I can’t stop the madness in this world.  It isn’t even my job. 

My job is only to live for Him in my sphere of living, my sphere of influence.  I can only do what is in front of me, and perhaps plan a bit out for tomorrow, but I must be ready for any changes that may come and then I must be able to continue to trust in Him for my comfort and strength right then in that very moment. Even then, I can not save anyone, I can only glorify God by living for Him in what is set before me in my life.

So, today, and any next tomorrows, I will be living in the moments, in this winter, with this world which is not my home.  

I will be leaning on the LORD, living in His strength because I have none of my own.  

I will rest in His comfort because this world is too much for me to handle.

"...for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 
I know how to get along with humble means, 
and I also know how to live in prosperity; 
in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled 
and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 
[I am very much still learning all of this!] 
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:11-13 

Precious sisters in Jesus ~ rest with me in Him, rely on Him for all things. Praising the LORD with you!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, you are right on....we can only live for our Lord in our sphere of influence and not change the world. It is not our calling. Indeed, all the world will not be saved. Our prayers have no bounds but our influence does. I like the old saying, "Bloom where you are planted." Yes, we can and should support others who are taking the gospel to those in darkness, and let our prayers go with them. But I need to witness to my neighbor if God gives me opportunity. That's the harder part for me.

Bless you in this new year as we keep our focus on our Good Shepherd!

Kathryn

The Piper's Wife said...

Thank you, Kathryn, for reminding me! as I ebb and flow in forgetfulness in this evil world. I can be overcome with troubles, and find that I leave my joy in the LORD at the door.

Here I am again keeping my eyes on Him, blooming where I am planted! :o) Thanks again, and praising Him with you!