Thursday, April 9, 2020

Treasured People, Treasured Recipes


During our marriage I have collected so many recipes. In the last decades I have organized and reorganized my recipe boxes in different ways.

Finally, I was frustrated with my last solution so I recently took all the recipes out, and I have laboriously culled, repaired, and fit all of the ones I really care about back into my original metal recipe boxes.

Now I am excited and ready to cook!

Both of these recipe boxes were acquired free through the mail in our first years of marriage by saved product labels so they are very sentimental to me as we began with very little. The boxes show lots of wear, but I have chosen to use them again in the autumn of my years.

As I was going through my recipes and reorganizing them I knew many of them, and so as I went through I was struck by the precious people who had given them to me - many who are gone now. Many of the recipes are in their own handwriting: Two Grandmas, an Aunt, my own precious mother, my “other mother”, a sister-in-law, my daughter, and so many sweet, precious ladies. A Treasure!

I was overwhelmed with emotion for the love written on these recipe cards as I was in the final stages of organizing all of them into the boxes. What a legacy I have to give a special person someday.


*


No comments: