Thursday, December 8, 2011

Two "every day" Sparrows for a Cent

I have been contemplating Romans 5 and 6.  The depth and richness of just those two chapters is worth celebrating with great joy and glorifying God with happy shouts and the clapping of hands!  The work which Jesus did for us is practically too awesome for any words.

Just a few feet away out my kitchen window it is a joy to see God's creations at our bird feeder every single day.  We mostly get many English Sparrows.  People tend to think of them as "trashy" birds, or as "every day" birds, thus they do not even matter; but if you were to observe them for a while they are actually lovely.

In Matthew 10:29 Jesus was speaking of "every day" birds when He said, "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent?  And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father."  Were they English Sparrows?  How incredibly awesome for Jesus to use "every day" birds as well as our individual hairs to express how valuable we are to Him.

Last week, while I was thinking all these things, the feeder was full of sparrows and one "popped" out at me.  He must have had a white feather or two on the tips of a wing because his back had a white spot.  "It is all about genetics", I said to myself in wonder.  I decided to name this unique little creature instead of saying, "the sparow with the white feather is here again!"

The little bird touched me so because of his uniqueness.  I  do not know why I thought of "Nicodemus".   I suppose it was because of my deep thoughts of how Jesus has saved us.  

This man was a Pharisee who came by night to speak with Jesus, and then asked Him how a person could be born again after he was old.  It is an incredible account beginning with Nicodemus admitting that Jesus is from God, to Jesus explaining about being born in the Spirit by using the wind as an example---'not knowing where it comes from nor where it is going'.  Jesus speaks of Moses lifting up the serpent and likens it to the Son of God being lifted up with those who believe in Him having eternal life.  It continues with the famous John 3:16 and 17, to the sad fact of men loving the darkness rather than the Light.  Jesus ends with those who practice truth come to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.

I see my little Nicodemus everyday now and that little sparrow reminds me of my great God who saved even me.

Jesus said, "Do not be amazed that I say to you, 'You must be born again.' " John 3:7

No comments: