Monday, April 20, 2015

A Dozen Ways to Be Miserable

Job 7:11
“Therefore I will not restrain my mouth;
I will speak in the anguish of my spirit,
I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.
*

There are some people who need no help at all when it comes to being miserable.  For them, it comes naturally.  But in case you're looking for a few suggestions on how to be more miserable, take this advice:

1) Worry every single day about something. It won't add a cubit to your stature, but it will give you plenty to think about. 

2) Count your troubles. Do it at the breakfast table, preferably, so that you can make everyone else miserable, too.  

3) Pity yourself. Do this especially if no one else is pitying you.

4) Don't be compassionate.  

5) Don't dare get involved in the lives of people who spill their troubles all over you. If you do, you may end up neglecting your own troubles, and that would be a waste.  

6) Don't let Bible reading and prayer get in the way of what's really relevant.  After all, focusing your sights on things unseen is too eternal; rather, be relevant and get caught up in the here and now. Finally, devise skillful ways to serve both God and the world. Show everyone that Christians can be in the world and of the world.

There are people around you for whom misery is a way of life.  The world has enough misery of its own without Christians adding to it!

 We are to be in this world, not of it.  

Do you know someone for whom misery comes naturally?  

*Lift his sights, 
*jar his thinking, 
*give him hope
Give him hope beyond his misery 
by showing him at least a dozen ways to trust in the Lord of Joy!

Lord, I want to reverse the plea of Job. 
 I give You any anguish in my spirit, 
and I confess any bitterness in my soul. 
 I will not complain.  
And if I'm to speak out,
I will sing and shout Your praises!
*

--- I love this title:  The Lord of Joy! ---
*

from Joni's Diamonds in the Dust, January 13
*



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Finally, devise skillful ways to serve both God and the world. Show everyone that Christians can be in the world and of the world."

No kidding! Seems to be a plague in the church today. Whatever happened to come out from them and be separate? Be in but not of?

-Carolyn

The Piper's Wife said...

I suppose it is a sign of the times.

We can only be responsible for what we can do for the LORD.

Jude 1:20-23
 "But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life. And have mercy on some, who are doubting; save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh.

May the LORD be glorified!