Friday, July 29, 2022

Just a Few More weary Days and Then, I'll Fly Away...

This place is not my home.  Each day's sorrows, struggles and heartaches bring me ever closer to seeing my Savior.


Acts 4:12

... 12 "there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”

*

I'll Fly Away

Some glad morning when this life is o'er,

I'll fly away.

To a home on God's celestial shore,

I'll fly away.


I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,

I'll fly away.


When the shadows of this life have flown,

I'll fly away.

Like a bird from prison bars have flown,

I'll fly away.


I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,

I'll fly away.


Oh how glad and happy when we meet,

I'll fly away.

No more cold iron shackles on my feet,

I'll fly away.


Just a few more weary days and then,

I'll fly away.

To a land where joy shall never end,

I'll fly away.


I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

When I die, Hallelujah, bye and bye,

I'll fly away.

-Brumbley


The Story Behind I'll Fly Away

Albert E. Brumley has been described as the "pre-eminent gospel songwriter" of the 20th century with over 600 published songs.  According to interviews, Brumley came up with the idea for "I'll Fly Away" while picking cotton on his father's farm in Rock Island, Oklahoma. 

Brumley says that as he worked he was "humming the old ballad that went like this: 'If I had the wings of an angel, over these prison walls I would fly,' and suddenly it dawned on me that I could use this plot for a gospel-type song." The song Brumley described appears to be "The Prisoner's Song". 

It was an additional three years later until Brumley worked out the rest of the song, paraphrasing one line from the secular ballad to read, "Like a bird from prison bars has flown" using prison as an analogy for earthly life. Brumley has stated, "When I wrote it, I had no idea that it would become so universally popular."

*


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill,

We recently attended a hymn sing with some friends. It was glorious! Several singing groups and about 600-700 people all singing lovely hymns together! I like this one you posted, and of course, love this amazing picture, too. It’s good to know the stories behind the songs.
Thanks!
Nelia

The Piper's Wife said...

Thank you, Nelia :o) What a joy to be with so many people praising the LORD in hymns!

We've had 15 or so at our sings which is so wonderful!

Keep singing to the LORD!