Saturday, April 8, 2023

"He said, 'It is Finished.'"

Alas! and did my Savior bleed


And did my Sov’reign die?


Would He devote that sacred head


For such a worm as I?


Was it for crimes that I had done


He groaned upon the tree?


Amazing pity! grace unknown!


And love beyond degree!


Well might the sun in darkness hide


And shut his glories in,


When Christ, the mighty Maker died,


For man the creature’s sin.


Thus might I hide my blushing face


While His dear cross appears,


Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,


And melt my eyes to tears.


But drops of grief can ne’er repay


The debt of love I owe

:
Here, Lord, I give myself away,


’Tis all that I can do.


-Isaac Watts


John 18,19:28-30

..."After this, Jesus, knowing that all things 

had already been accomplished, to fulfill 

the Scripture,  He said, “I am thirsty.”

 

A jar full of sour wine was standing there;

so they put a sponge full of the sour wine 

upon a branch of hyssop and brought it up 

to His mouth.


Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, 

He said, “It is finished!” 

And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit."...

*



No comments: