Saturday, October 12, 2024

Children of God: You are the Apple of His Eye

Psalm 17:6-8

I have called upon You, 
for You will answer me, 
O God;
Incline Your ear to me, 
hear my speech.

Wondrously show Your lovingkindness,
O Savior of those who take
refuge at Your right hand
From those who rise up against them.

Keep me as the apple of the eye;
Hide me in the shadow of Your wings

*

My son, keep my words
And treasure my commandments within you.

Keep my commandments and live,
And my teaching as the apple of your eye.

Bind them on your fingers;
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
 
Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
And call understanding your intimate friend;
 
That they may keep you from an adulteress,
From the foreigner who flatters with her words.


“Ho there! 
Flee from the land of the north,” 
declares the Lord,
 “for I have dispersed you as the four winds 
of the heavens,” 
declares the Lord.

“Ho, Zion! Escape, 
you who are living with the daughter of Babylon.” 

For thus says the Lord of hosts, 
“After glory He has sent me against the nations 
which plunder you,
for he who touches you, 
touches the apple of His eye.

For behold, I will wave My hand over them 
so that they will be plunder for their slaves. 

Then you will know that the Lord of hosts 
has sent Me.

Sing for joy and be glad, 
O daughter of Zion; 
for behold I am coming and 
I will dwell in your midst,” 
declares the Lord. "
*

 *The phrase "the apple of one's eye" refers to a vulnerable spot that is protected and cherished. 

For example, God held the Israelites as the apple of His eye, even though they were rebellious.

*

No comments: