Saturday, December 11, 2010

Snow Day

It was a ‘snow day’ today.  You have got to love it when you don’t have to go anywhere and all of a sudden you have extra free time!

I took the opportunity to mix up many batches of cookies.  I pulled out our old Christmas “Sing Along with Mitch Miller” recordings and played them all morning while mixing up our traditional recipes.

Christmas time is full of happy memories for me.  Today was no different.

When my Beloved and I married, my dear mother offered for me to pick out a handful of my favorite Christmas records from their collection.  Thus, our Mitch Miller records.

The 1970’s classic Betty Crocker Cookbook I use is the one my mother gave us after we became engaged.  She redeemed all of her Green Stamps so I could received the cherished cookbook, an ironing board, an iron, and a set of mixing bowls. I still have the first two.

Side note: Probably everything mentioned was made in America----those were the days!

The cookbook has many pages stained and well used by our precious daughter.  She loved to cook and wasn’t afraid of trying new recipes.

I mixed up our daughter’s world famous ginger snaps (Betty Crocker’s), our son’s favorite cookie of all, Chocolate Crinkles, which is my Grandmother’s recipe.  Another favorite from Grandma Glidden is her Chocolate Frosted cookies.  Just last year my sister photo copied for me the original frosting recipe as well of the cookie recipe both in my mother’s handwriting---it is a treasure for me to now have these special recipes in her distinctive handwriting.

I can’t help but miss my dear mother at Christmas time.  She was a beautiful wife and mother role for me.  She openly loved and respected my father, disciplined when we needed it, loved each of us dearly, and enjoyed just doing things with us.  She studied us and knew us.  She could make anything fun.  After I grew up, she was such a good friend, too.

“Hear, my son, your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching; indeed, they are a graceful wreath to your head and ornaments about your neck.” Proverbs 1:8-9

I'm secretly hoping for another snow day tomorrow!  If so, I will pick out different Christmas records as I bake all these cookies.  May you find joy in the little things which make our lives rich and full.  Praising the LORD with you--Jill

No comments: