Thursday, March 31, 2022

His Wonderful Amazing Grace!

Another graveside service on a cold snowy day for the Piper and his wife. 


The graveyard is beautifully set on rolling hillsides, full of many trees, lovely memorial stones with an incredible view across the valley to the next ridge. 


This graveyard was organized way over a hundred years ago. For me it was full of history. The history of normal people who came here as settlers and raised up their families - who raised up their families...


The LORD knows all of this. He sees time from the beginning to the end of this world because He is outside of time. He knows which people loved Him and who didn't. 


In our reality - making a decision for Christ is paramount although many people think they have all the time in the world. Life is short if you live for a handful of years to a hundred years. It is important to discern, think on these things, and search the scriptures often! Don't wait too long!  Get busy!


I watched today's people drive up, get out of their cars, and walk to the graveside. From the way they interacted they all seemed like they were family members.


The Piper played Nearer My God to Thee and Abide with Me as the family carried the casket to the graveside. After the short memorial the casket was lowered while the Piper played Amazing Grace.


The song and the tune of Amazing Grace has been a classic for Christians. It speaks of Salvation for those who cry out to the LORD in His truth. It speaks of fears, and fears relieved, real Hope and safety, and blindness to God's Truth, but after accepting Him, true sight, and, of course, His Amazing Grace!


At any funeral it is normal when the Piper begins to play Amazing Grace for many, many people begin to cry, or tear up.  Today it was the same. How many of them truly know the LORD and His salvation in Christ? And how many only cry or have tears for the emotion tune it is. How many cry with joy mixed in their sadness for the Saint who now is now with Christ! and how many who are lost cry just in sadness?


May we who are saved be faithful 

to share our Hope in Jesus with others!

*

Amazing Grace


Amazing grace! How sweet the sound


That saved a wretch like me!


I once was lost, but now am found;


Was blind, but now I see.


’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,


And grace my fears relieved;


How precious did that grace appear


The hour I first believed.


Through many dangers, toils, and snares,


I have already come;


’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,


And grace will lead me home.


The Lord has promised good to me,


His Word my hope secures;


He will my Shield and Portion be,


As long as life endures.


Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,


And mortal life shall cease,


I shall possess, within the veil,


A life of joy and peace.


The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,


The sun forbear to shine;


But God, who called me here below,


Will be forever mine.


When we’ve been there ten thousand years,


Bright shining as the sun,


We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise


Than when we’d first begun.

-John Newton, 1779

*


No comments: