Friday, January 11, 2013

Our Little House on the Prairie

A mother’s work is never done.   I thought of this as I continued to do one thing after another yesterday, never getting to what I had planned to do.

The days have been cold and damp.   The first snow is still epoxied to the ground as it came as heavy, wet snow, only changing to dry snow later that day.   By the end of the next day the temperatures rarely rose above 20 degrees for weeks.   We have commented that this 5 inch block-layer of ice will be here until April causing us much difficultly in driving around the neighborhood.

Lately, the temperatures have reached into the 40 degrees ending in a steady rain all last night.   Our block-layer of ice now looks like billions of ice bergs in a sea of grass.   It is a dismal day and I have been praying for the dear ones I know who struggle on winter days like this.

When we moved here we were the little house on the prairie.   The “world” around us was far away and [on weekends] it was completely quiet.  During the week our far away world was filled construction sounds from 8 to 5.   Now we are one home among hundreds of houses.   A quiet bedroom community with even children rarely venturing outside.  When we are out in the yard, out taking a walk, pulling out of our driveway, we rarely see anyone.   I often remember those many days of literally being alone in our little house on the prairie, and even feel as if we still are out here alone.   There is a calmness in the quiet where we can truly feel this is our sanctuary.

As I go from one thing to another in my everyday life at home, I remember when I had little ones underfoot.   This was when there was a real reason I was always full and busy.   Now I can’t blame the cat, although there are times she needs snuggling during the day.   It is just me and my beloved, and yet I am still full and busy when I am at home.   Any extra-curricular projects I begin, must be stepped over for days as I can’t finish anything in one sitting.   The idea of making a bigger mess when cleaning is very true in my home.

These “next things” which keep me occupied must be accomplished.   Even today with only two of us, if I did not do the laundry or the dishes, etc in a timely manner, we would run out of things to wear and places to eat our food.  

Just the act of doing “next things” is right and proper, and as Believers everything in our life should be done for the LORD.  Everything we do and say should glorify Him.

Whatever your season of life, as you go through your days, feel like you are barely keeping up with what desperately needs to be accomplished, and you practically never get to do those extra-curricular things you would love to do around your home, remember who it is you are living for and glorifying with your attitude.   It is the LORD God whom you serve.

Colossians 3:23-24

Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.

No comments: