Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Will you be devoured?

Thanks to Julia, at Steak and a Bible for Why I Contend 

...Honestly, if it weren’t for my mother and her willingness to stand for truth this blog probably wouldn’t exist. 

I thank God that from a young age I saw her challenge leadership whenever it was necessary and right. Perhaps she didn’t always do it perfectly, and it is unlikely that I always will, but her courage is an enduring example to me. 

It was because of her that I finally came to understand the problems of the church growth movement, and began to see the dangers of the emergent church...


... I contend because I had to leave a church after spending more than a year there growing and making friends and finding a community of believers once I realized it was too far gone and my pleadings were falling on deaf ears. Because once I left it took me years to find a church, and visiting churches was an exercise in perpetual discouragement. 

I share my concerns in the hope that I’ll still have a church to go to when I’m 35, or 50 or 80...


Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

1Peter 5:8

No comments: