Saturday, September 26, 2020

Homeward Bound

This last month our area of the midwest had Straight Line Winds as we have never seen before. There has been so much damage and the clean up and repairs seemingly without end.


At least once a week I am driving in the town where the highest winds hit. Even though so much clean up, clearing, and repairs have already been accomplished it still looks like it happened last week even though almost two months has gone by.


Driving through is extremely wearing on me. The sadness overwhelms me. 


Even though very few people were killed, many have been physically hurt in just the clean up. I haven't heard how many need a new roof- it must be astronomical. It has been estimated that the tree canopy is 70% gone. The town does not look like Itself.


I am grieving for the monetary amounts which will affect the people, the ones who have no home now, and the trauma we have been through and continually see.


This last week as I drove through I was praying with my thoughts turning Heavenward. What a change of perspective for me! Praise the LORD!


Although I can still grieve for the people I can remind myself that this damaged world - damaged in so many, too many ways - this damaged world is not my home. My eyes are heavenward!


Jesus died on the cross for me and all the people who acknowledge and know He is their Savior! We aren't staying in this failing world! We are Homeward Bound!


I'm Homeward Bound!

*

On Jordan's Stormy Banks

On Jordan’s stormy banks I stand,


And cast a wishful eye


To Canaan’s fair and happy land,


Where my possessions lie.

   Refrain:


  I am bound (I am bound)

  I am bound (I am bound)

  I am bound for promised land,

  I am bound (I am bound)

  I am bound (I am bound)

  I am bound for promised land.

Oh, the transporting, rapturous scene


That rises to my sight!


Sweet fields arrayed in living green,


And rivers of delight!

-

O’er all those wide, extended plains


Shines one eternal day;


There God the Son forever reigns,


And scatters night away.

-

No chilling winds or poisonous breath


Can reach that healthful shore;


Sickness and sorrow, pain and death,


Are felt and feared no more.

-

When I shall reach that happy place,


I’ll be forever blest,


For I shall see my Father’s face,


And in His bosom rest.

-

Filled with delight my raptured soul


Would here no longer stay;


Though Jordan’s waves around me roll,


Fearless, I’d launch away.

-

Samuel Stennett

*

Hebrews 11:16

"...But as it is, 

they desire a better country, 

that is, a heavenly one. 

Therefore God is not ashamed 

to be called their God; 

for He has prepared a city for them..."


2 comments:

Cherry Bieber said...

Homeward bound...a perspective, which is THE perspective: a window through which our eyes can see past the tragedies that this life presents every day now. Homeward bound is the only perspective that can keep us truly caring that others know what we know,that perhaps they, too, can look up! Thank you for your faithful reminders, Jill!

The Piper's Wife said...

Thank you, Cherry, Yes! it is THE perspective :o) and may many, many choose to look up and accept Him!