Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Laughter as a medicine

















Ecclesiastes 3:4
..."There is an appointed time for everything. 
And there is a time for every event under heaven...

...A time to weep and a time to laugh;

A time to mourn and a time to dance..."

Psalms 126
"When the Lord brought back the captive ones of Zion,

We were like those who dream.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter

And our tongue with joyful shouting;

Then they said among the nations,

“The Lord has done great things for them.”
The Lord has done great things for us;
 
We are glad.

Restore our captivity, O Lord, 
As the streams in the South.
Those who sow in tears shall reap with joyful shouting.
He who goes to and fro weeping, carrying his bag of seed,

Shall indeed come again with a shout of joy, 
bringing his sheaves with him."

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me,
Because the Lord has anointed me
To bring good news to the afflicted;
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to captives
And freedom to prisoners;

To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn,

To grant those who mourn in Zion,
Giving them a garland instead of ashes,
The oil of gladness instead of mourning,
The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting.
So they will be called oaks of righteousness,
The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.
Then they will rebuild the ancient ruins,
They will raise up the former devastations;
And they will repair the ruined cities,
The desolations of many generations.

Strangers will stand and pasture your flocks,
And foreigners will be your farmers and your vinedressers.

But you will be called the priests of the Lord;
You will be spoken of as ministers of our God.
You will eat the wealth of nations,
And in their riches you will boast.

Matthew 12:18-21
...“Behold, My Servant whom I have chosen;
My Beloved in whom My soul is well-pleased;
I will put My Spirit upon Him,
And He shall proclaim justice to the Gentiles.

“He will not quarrel, nor cry out;
Nor will anyone hear His voice in the streets.

“A battered reed He will not break off,
And a smoldering wick He will not put out,
Until He leads justice to victory.

“And in His name the Gentiles will hope.”...

Psalms 30:10-12
...“Hear, O Lord, and be gracious to me;
O Lord, be my helper.”

You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness,

That my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever...."
*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill,

We certainly need some good-natured humor in our hearts from time to time. Especially in light of the current goings on in America. We could use not only joy of the Lord, but a healthy laugh.

Blessings!

-Carolyn

The Piper's Wife said...

Agreed! :o)