Monday, September 28, 2020

Living in an Upside Down World

My Beloved used to have a Blog which was called "Sanity in an Upside Down World". The purpose was to open up our eyes to the craziness happening around us.

Eventually, our world became so upside down that he could spend forever writing about it.

It seems now-a-days that it is strange to have normal things happening.

"But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come.

For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these.

For among them are those who enter into households and captivate weak women weighed down with sins, led on by various impulses, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men of depraved mind, rejected in regard to the faith. But they will not make further progress; for their folly will be obvious to all, just as Jannes’s and Jambres’s folly was also.

Now you followed my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, patience, love, perseverance, persecutions, and sufferings, such as happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium and at Lystra; what persecutions I endured, and out of them all the Lord rescued me!

Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.

But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High 
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
 
I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
 My God, in whom I trust!”

For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper
 and from the deadly pestilence.

He will cover you with His pinions,
 and under His wings you may seek refuge;
 His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark.

You will not be afraid of the terror by night,
 or of the arrow that flies by day;
of the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
 or of the destruction that lays waste at noon.

A thousand may fall at your side
 and ten thousand at your right hand,
 but it shall not approach you.

You will only look on with your eyes
 and see the recompense of the wicked.

For you have made the Lord, my refuge,
 even the Most High, your dwelling place.

No evil will befall you,
 nor will any plague come near your tent.
 
For He will give His angels charge concerning you,
 to guard you in all your ways.
 
They will bear you up in their hands,
 that you do not strike your foot against a stone.
 
You will tread upon the lion and cobra,
 the young lion and the serpent you will trample down.
 
“Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him;
 I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name.

“He will call upon Me, and I will answer him;
 I will be with him in trouble;
 I will rescue him and honor him.

“With a long life I will satisfy him
 and let him see My salvation.”
*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill,

Wow, after reading this post, I have so much to say, but I will condense it for brevity's sake.

First, Glenn's blog - Sanity in an Upside Down World - he didn't know he was a prophet, did he (Amos 7:14)? That title of his former blog applies (sadly!) now more than ever!

As for the Scriptures, this struck me from Ps. 91:

"A thousand may fall at your side
 and ten thousand at your right hand,
 but it shall not approach you.
You will only look on with your eyes
 and see the recompense of the wicked."

Oh what joy those words brought to my heart. The corruptions of this world have grown unbearably nauseating. My desire for righteousness is increasing by the day. My eyes are weary and want to see the end of wickedness!

We know that our Sovereign Lord wishes that none perish, and for all to repent, as He does NOT delight in judging the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11). Yet we also know - and praise Him - that He is NOT mocked, and none of the unrepentant will escape His full and sure judgment (Romans 2:5).

Also, from 2 Tim 3:
...men who "oppose the truth, men of depraved mind, rejected in regard to the faith. But they will not make further progress; for their folly will be obvious to all"

Oh what blessed words. What blessed, blessed words. For those who have eyes to see, the folly of those who are currently opposing God is very plainly evident. Our Lord has taken away all their facades. They (their wickedness and folly) are on full display for all to see!

You are so right, it is strange nowadays to have something *normal* happen. If someone had told me 20 years ago that this would be the world we faced in AD2020, I would have never believed them. As I have seen several people comment: Orwell's 1984 was written as a cautionary tale, not an instruction manual! We are living in dystopia!

Thank you for the exhortation, especially from 2 Timothy 3! Actually, for this whole post, timely, appropriate, edifying, and comforting even in the midst of the mind boggling challenges we are all facing.

-Carolyn

The Piper's Wife said...

Thank you, Carolyn, for your time in expressing your thoughts. I appreciate it. :o)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Carolyn!

I appreciate it, too!
Kathryn