Saturday, September 12, 2020

Only the LORD can bear my awful load


























Not what my hands have done

Can save my guilty soul;

Not what my toiling flesh has borne

Can make my spirit whole.

Not what I feel or do

Can give me peace with God;
Not all my prayers and sighs and tears

Can bear my awful load.

Thy work alone, O Christ,

Can ease this weight of sin

Thy blood alone O Lamb of God,

Can give me peace within.

Thy love to me, O God,

Not mine, O Lord, to Thee

Can rid me of
 this dark unrest,

And set my spirit free!

Thy grace alone, O God,

To me can pardon speak;

Thy power alone, O Son of God,

Can this sore bondage break.

No other work, save Thine,

No other blood will do,

No strength save that which is divine,

Can bear me safely through.

I bless the Christ of God;

I rest on love divine;

And with unfaltering lip and heart,

I call this Savior mine.
This cross dispels each doubt,

I bury in His tomb

Each thought of unbelief and fear,
Each lingering shade of gloom.

I praise the God of grace,

I trust His truth and might

He calls me His, I call Him mine,

My God, my joy, my light

Tis He Who saveth me,

And freely pardon gives

I love because
 He loveth me,

I live because He lives!

-Horatius Bonar
*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill,

So glad to have this saved, now, in my file! What a wonderful outpouring of praise from a heart truly grateful for salvation! Thanks for posting!

P.S. a letter is on its way!😊

Kathryn

The Piper's Wife said...

Yes, thank you for letting me know of it :o)